Waking up in a re-arranged house every morning is a horrifying thought, isn’t it? Or, is it just me? As much as I love Facebook, and it feels like a second home to my social soul, I despise the changes they keep making to their website. I normally welcome intuitive graphics and web interface. Google looks a lot sleeker today than the last year. Even twitter has made a lot changes to improve the user experience. But what keeps happening with Facebook? They don’t seem to make up their mind. Frankly speaking, I often wonder if they test changes on the live site itself. And facebook makes a lot… a lot of changes.
Why am I whining so much? Well, I’m not alone. Everybody seem to hate the new facebook timeline feature. Some unfortunates have already published their profiles using it, without realising that once you have timeline there’s no turning back. Yes, there’s no way to revert to the old interface. I have tried. A lot :(
And the new interface? Words are not enough to describe how annoyingly slow and stupid it is. Here’s a few reasons why I think that Facebook timeline sucks.
1. To begin with, I think it’s just creepy. And can only appeal to narcissists and egomaniacs. We had pictures, videos and updates posted earlier as well, but the new timeline feature transforms your profile page into a shrine dedicated to you, the deity. One click, your entire life spread on a scale for people to judge or envy. So, either you ‘live like a king’, or you need to ‘live a little’.
2. Timeline opens new gates for stalkers. I better figure out those privacy settings soon. All my life is one click away to be peeked into; that scares me a little bit.
3. There’s just so much to see on your profile page and you don’t know where to look. It’s a little overwhelming. Big solid blocks of pictures look ugly.
4. This question is for Facebook guys – Isn’t that interface going to take all the attention away from the tiny ads Facebook shows which, if I remember correctly, puts the bread on your table? Don’t mind my tone here, I’m just really pissed. What were you guys thinking?
5. There was already tons of pressure to come up with a clever profile picture, and now you have obliged me to put a cover photo as well? I’m still trying to figure this one out. I guess, in the end, I’m just going to put the default picture all stretched out, and look like a doofus the whole time this setting is there.
6. My friends keep tagging me in dumb pictures which they find funny, and if I’m not too careful (while un-tagging) they might just define who I am or was on your timeline.
7. Guess what, all updates we send on Facebook are not pure gold, but you can find the 2 year old conversation about how I slipped on a banana peel in GK II last year framed on my profile. Just what I want to remember, grrr!
8. Timeline’s trying to download so much and makes the page so heavy, that unless you’re using some super-fast broadband, it’s going to hang your browser or take forever to load. I so miss Facebook Lite (remember?). Don’t know why didn’t that one catch on…
9. Facebook is a free service, but please, oh, please don’t shove this improvement down our throats that nobody asked for.
10. Facebook is also going to launch timeline for Facebook fanpages soon. You know what that means? All the custom made welcome tabs that brands and businesses got made will have to be redone.
As an entrepreneur I’m seeing Facebook as not a reliable social media option for future unless they really plan their updates. May be this is the clue for some new genius college drop out to launch his portal with a better solution. I personally don’t like Google + much either. But that’s for another day…
Although rumors have spanned the Internet about a finalized date for the mandatory switch, nothing has been confirmed. Some Facebook user profiles still remain in the previous format.